I am sure everyone has been following the news and the recent developments in the COVID 19, also known as the Coronavirus outbreak. We advise you to be very careful when listening to the news and make sure to do your own research on the topic from RELIABLE sources. If there is one thing that social media brings us…it is a lot of misinformation.
Here are the facts we know for sure according to the CDC (Centre for Disease Control):
- There is no vaccine for the coronavirus
- It is stronger than the common flu with a 3% mortality rate, the flu has a 1% mortality rate
- This virus spreads from person to person contact between people who are in close contact (6 feet)
- People are mostly contagious when they are at their sickest; however, there have been reports of people contracting the virus before they show symptoms
- The virus can spread easily but has mostly been severely affecting the older population and not so much teens, children or people from ages 20-40.
All of these facts listed above may seem very scary but there is no reason to go into full blown panic mode. Here are some tips you can take into consideration to hopefully help put your mind at ease when it comes to combatting COVID-19.
- The most important thing and something that every person should be doing every flu season is WASH YOUR HANDS. This is not anything new or ground-breaking but very simple. Anytime you touch a surface, ride public transport or shake hands with someone wash your hands.
- Warm water and soap are the best methods of prevention. If you cannot get to a bathroom right away in order to wash your hands then hand sanitizer will also work as long as it has 60% alcohol. Make sure to be scrubbing your hands for 20 seconds in order to get rid of any germs
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick. If you are sick and might have been in contact with someone who has COVID-19 then take it upon yourself to stay home from work or other obligations in order to avoid the spread of the virus.
- Make sure to cover your cough and sneezes even if it is from just the common cold or flu. Covering your cough and sneezes will prevent you from spreading the virus to anyone who is in close contact with you. Cough into your arm rather than your hands.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces frequently such as kitchen and bathroom countertops. You can use a diluted mixture of household bleach or any disinfectant with 70% alcohol in it.
We are here to help at Oakville Chiropractic Centre and hopefully help ease the fear and anxiety you may have. In order to help yourself stay protected even more it’s important to arm your bodies natural immune system with anything that could help it fight this virus. Some things to consider:
- Eating a healthy and balanced diet, full of whole grains, fruits, and vegetables
- Taking supplements such as vitamin C, zinc, and B6 in order to help support a healthy immune system
- Come into the office and get adjusted as Chiropractic treatment during this time of the year can really help kick start your immune system to help fight off any virus.
If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask, we are always here to help.
Dr. Nishma Appanna D.C